The best indoor plants for every room in your house
Do you love a bit of greenery in the home? Who doesn’t, right?
Plants don’t just look beautiful, they help to improve our air quality by producing oxygen and filtering out bacteria and toxins. In fact, NASA has revealed that houseplants can remove up to 87 percent of air toxins in just 24 hours.
But, unfortunately, you are terribly mistaken if you think that you can just grab any plant that tickles your fancy and pop it anywhere it fits in your home.
Plants are similar to people in that they are all unique and what one likes, another really doesn’t.
So, the question is, which plants are best suited to the rooms in your house? Let’s take a look at the perfect plants based on room conditions:
1. Low light areas. First and foremost, we need to define what exactly ‘low-light’ means. Generally, north-facing rooms with no windows are considered to be low-light rooms. For some people, kitchens also fall into this category. Your shopping list for these rooms could include:
- Peace Lilies (either two-foot or premium Peace Lily)
- English Ivy
- Venus Flytrap
- Butterfly Palm Tree
- Rattlesnake Plant
2. Bright, indirect light areas. These are typically a few feet away from a window, usually in a bedroom. You can still opt for any of the above plants, but they might suffer if they are exposed to any direct light. The best plants for bright, indirect light are:
- Palms (Kentia, Rhapis, Bamboo)
- Money Plant
- African Violet
- White Bird of Paradise
- Rubber Plant
3. Full direct sunlight. These locations are very close to a large window with no obstructions or coverings during the day time. Depending on your floor plan, this could be a living or dining room. Look out for:
- Banana Trees
- Purple Heart
- Madagascar Palm
- String of Beads
4. Humid rooms. Most commonly, this would be your bathroom or laundry area. The plants that will do best here are:
- Aloe Vera
- Boston Fern
- Spider plant
- Chinese Evergreen
Studies have proven that indoor plants improve concentration and productivity, reduce your stress levels and help to improve your day-to-day mood. We can’t think of any reasons not to stock up immediately!