Communication is key to a successful client-builder relationship
The importance of a successful client-builder relationship cannot be overstated. Emerging with your sanity intact after building a house calls for mutual respect, understanding, trust and, most importantly, excellent communication with every person you deal with in the building company, throughout the duration of the project.
At the Ross North Group, this includes our receptionist answering your call, our in-house broker giving you financial advice, our estimators who develop and finalise your building contract and our Pre-Start Manager with whom you discuss interior design ideas.
Once you’re underway, of course, the rapport you develop with your dedicated Site Manager is crucial. This is the person with whom you work day-to-day; the person who will answer the myriad questions that arise throughout the project; the person coordinating tradesmen and ensuring work is completed to a high standard. Developing a good relationship with your Site Manager doesn’t mean you have to be best mates, but robust, clear communication and mutual respect goes a long way.
Here’s a few practical communication tips to ensure a smooth process:
- Ask, ask and ask some more. There’s no such thing as a silly question.
- Be clear about what you want and communicate this to your builder. Two-way transparency should be expected from both parties.
- Don’t assume anything. Read all documentation carefully and if you’re not sure or you don’t understand, ASK!
- Keep good records and be organised. This will help mitigate potential conflicts and ensure everyone is working from the same page.
- Be realistic about what can be achieved.
- Be patient. While you should expect continual progress, building a house doesn’t happen overnight.
There are so many variables and complexities involved in building a house, from the nuances of your site to the availability of products and services within a dynamic market. This is why good two-way communication is essential to ensure all parties have realistic and current expectations, particularly in relation to timeframes, unforseen delays and costs.
The Ross North Group has earned a reputation for excellence over its 40-year operation, which stems, in large part, to listening to its clients, learning from mistakes and prioritising communication. Our customer’s perception is our reality and we work hard to ensure our clients have a positive building experience so they will be only too happy to sing our praises.
Whether you’re looking for the best home and land packages in Perth or you’re just wanting to look at new home designs for your Perth home, contact us today. Our friendly consultants are standing by to answer your questions.